Weekend 1 of the Kitchen Project

To bad I can’t come up with a really cool secret code name for our kitchen project, so we’ll have to just go with “kitchen project”.

Weekend one is complete, we got off to a roaring start fizzled out in the middle, but had a fairly good finish. Saturday morning, we took a trip to Lowe’s to get a few supplies for the project, and then started removing all the cabinet doors and draws from the kitchen. Once they were in the garage with all the hardware removed, we proceeded to clean them all off with a TSP substitute. We have some real TSP, but all the primers said to use a substitute (environment I guess). We managed to get all the door and drawers done and then kinda petered out the rest of the day. We did manage to clean out 3 sets of cabinets, but we could have done more.

On Sunday, Laura ended up with a migraine, so she just rested most of the day. I finished up cleaning out the cabinets and prepping the outer part of the cabinets for priming. We also got rid of a good amount of stuff that we don’t use anymore, which gave us a lot more room in our cabinets.

Next weekend we will sand down any rough spots or other trouble spots and then apply some Killz primer to prep the surface for painting. This week we will be going to Lowe’s to pick out some new hardware (hinges and handles). More loads of fun next weekend. But we know our limits now and the rest of work probably won’t be as hard (except for the sanding).

The picture at left is how the kitchen is currently. We are still using the cabinets, just without doors for now. Probably another 3 weekends and we’ll be done (we hope). Then we can start looking at tile and counter tops.